Tuesday, August 3, 2010

it's been some time...








This was a place for cyclists to crash along Highway 2 in Montana





kids selling junk





now thats what I call a tractor

one good thing about North Dakota, pretty
sunsets and thunderstorms




just one of many dead animals we see on a daily basis



Bonnie and Luke

Cars-R-Coffins velo cafe

cool artwork along the greenway

Bonnie and 9 month old June


at the velodrome







tall ships in Duluth

best micro brew I've had this summer

since the last time I updated. We pushed through North Dakota with a fury. Everyday in North Dakota felt like the day before, wheat, soy, corn, grain mill, oil field repeat. In addition it proved itself to be the hardest state to buy beer. As soon as we crossed into Minnesota, we felt a change in scenery and were releived to see other cyclists. There are also a lot of bike paths and trails in Minnesota which we have been taking advantage of. Getting off the highways is refreshing. On rail to trails you can see areas not accessible to cars, and you can't help but imagine what it would be like if you could travel freely this way without having to be on the roads.In Fergus Falls Chris bought a little am/fm alarm clock radio which pumps out the jams like you wouldn't believe. I never thought that riding my bike across America listening to Journey and Rod Stewartwould make me feel so patriotic. We spent a few days in Minneapolis, which rivals Portland for most bikeable city. There were bike paths everywhere, in fact we we able to enter the city on the greenway, a path that cuts through the city keeping us away from the interstate. We stayed with my friends Bonnie and Luke, who own a rad old vicotrian house which they are fixing up in all the spare time that they have since having their first kid, June (adorable). It was fun to spend some quality time with them. Minneapolis left agood impression on me, I don't know if I can handle the winter, but with all the bike shop/coffee houses and good food, it definitely made me want to check it out again. After Minneapolis we heded up to Duluth, after stoping at the velodrome outside the city where we wathed some racing and caught some beers with some of the local racers. Duluth has been great too, with lake (Superior) just down the street and Fitger's brewery close at handwe've been enjoying ourselves emmensley. Not to mention the fact that Peter, a friend from Arcata who recently moved back here has been giving us the royal treatment. Duluth is a point of depatrure for the group. Ted and Tessa are headed out to do some backpacking in the Apostle Islands, Chris is pushing ahead, and Lisa and I are mosie-ing our way along the Upper Peninsula towards Toronto where we most likely will rendezvous again. At this point, life on the road is feeling less like a vacation and more of a lifestyle. And yet I just want to continue. I hope you are all enjoying the summer and doing fun and exciting things.

1 comment:

emetz said...

ahh. I'm sitting in your old room on my computer looking out the window at the overcast skies...60 something weather. The garden is blowing up and Matt Maya and I just returned from a backpacking trip in the Trinity Alps. Matt is enjoying his time home now that his cross country trip is through. I love reading your blog and send you hugs and smiles.
love,
Elle