Sunday, December 5, 2010

Greetings from Arizona



Elk season is in full swing

Well it's been a week since I arrived in Arizona. The first couple of days I was here the temperature dropped down to single digits and snow fell rather relentlessly from the sky. A good break in time in my adjusting to another climate and landscape. It wasn't too bad, and I've heard that it shouldn't get too much colder than that. Either way I'm happy to have picked up a balaclava before heading out here, cold mountain air stings the face when you're riding your bike. Speaking of which I've been able to do a little of. Although there is still too much snow for any kind of dirt riding in Flagstaff, as I learned the hard way. On Friday I headed north to do some dirt road riding when I stumbled upon a section of the Arizona Trail, eager to ride some of it, I decided to ride it back into town. Well a few miles later and I was hiking more than biking so I headed back. Saturday Lisa and I headed down to a county park just south of town where we found more snow.

 Flagstaff urban trail system


Lisa and her new Rawland

 So today we drove 30 miles south to Sedona where you could ride in a t-shirt (as I did) in December. We rode the Bell Rock Pathway, a nice easy trail that wraps around some incredible red rock mountains. The terrain is so different than the Pacific Northwest, and the mountain biking is insane. Riding atop massive red rocks, blazing by huge cactus, you can't help but be in awe of the incredible surroundings. Whatever may be said about the spiritual energy of the place, there is something definitely special about Sedona. Here are some photos (hopefully enticing enough to make you come visit!). 








No comments: